In the Beginning
The closing months of 1944 marked a time of tense optimism in Springfield, as it was throughout the United States. The news reports from both fronts were generally good, and it appeared that the war in Europe might end within a matter of months. The devastating economic sacrifices of the war effort, and the depression years before it, were about to be supplanted by an era of postwar production and prosperity. It was against this backdrop that the Springfield City Council voted unanimously to purchase the assets of the privately owned Springfield Gas and Electric company, also the operator of the city transit system. The finalization of this transaction in 1945 marked the birth of City Utilities.
March 26, 1945, was the first day of city ownership of electric and natural gas utilities and a public transportation system. Fulbright Water Treatment Plant was completed.
Springfield Water Works was purchased by CU. James River Power Station went into commercial operation.
The Main Avenue turbine began operation.
Additional power generation was secured with the completion of the Southwest Power Station.
Blackman Water Treatment Plant was placed in service.
Water and gas resources were secured with the completion of a water pipeline from Stockton Lake to Fellows Lake and a second natural gas transmission pipeline. CU’s SpringNet offered broadband services.
Supporting power resources strengthened with the completion of the McCartney Generation Station, a natural gas peaking station, and Noble Hill Landfill Renewable Energy Center. Energy efficiency programs and rebates were offered to customers.
CU secured reliable electric services with the completion of Southwest Power Station Unit 2. CU entered the online world through mobile work systems, smart meters, Google Transit, outage maps, and a customer account management system.