SMELL GAS? ACT FAST!
Leave the immediate area quickly.
Call 911 or CU at (417) 863-9000 to report a “Gas Service Problem”.
Act Fast if You Detect Natural Gas
Natural gas is very important in our everyday lives. It is a safe, convenient form of energy we use daily to help make living and working easy and safe. But it is important to always play it safe around natural gas. Our natural gas brochure offers detailed information about natural gas safety.
- It is important for everyone in your family to recognize the “smell” of natural gas, often similar to sulfur or rotten eggs. Not sure of the smell? Call (417) 863-9000 to request a scratch-and-sniff brochure.
- If you think you smell natural gas, ACT FAST. Leave the immediate area quickly. Once you are safely away from the area of danger call CU at (417) 863-9000 to report a natural gas emergency. Phones are answered 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- If you smell gas, DO NOT do any of the following actions – they could ignite the natural gas:
- DO NOT turn on or off any electrical switches, appliances or lights.
- DO NOT use a telephone, cell phone or computer.
- DO NOT ring a doorbell.
- DO NOT use smoking devices or have open flames.
- Natural gas detectors are recommended for individuals with diminished or no sense of smell. Most gas detectors plug into an electrical outlet and must be mounted on the wall. Check with local home building stores for purchase and follow the recommended guidelines for installation.
Call Before You Dig
- Missouri law requires anyone who plans to excavate to notify Missouri One Call at least two working days in advance of the work so utilities can be located and marked, even for simple projects like planting a tree or placing a mailbox. Repair costs for damaged utilities can be very expensive. It’s also dangerous. Request a free locate at mo1call.com or call 811.
- For general digging questions, call CU at (417) 831-8445.
You’ve Hit a Natural Gas Line
- If you accidentally uncover a natural gas line, or even a line that you suspect might be a natural gas line, stop digging and call CU at (417) 863-9000.
- If you hear hissing and/or smell natural gas, do the following:
- Turn off the equipment that struck the gas line. Do not attempt to move it away as this may ignite the escaping gas.
- Move to a safe distance away from the leak site.
- Do not allow anyone to approach the leak site.
- Turn off any other equipment in the vicinity of the leak site to prevent accidental ignition.
- Call both 911 and CU at (417) 863-9000 and give the dispatcher the location of the site and any other details to assist emergency responders in finding the site.
- Our gas technicians regularly perform routine leak checks every three years on both natural gas mains and services up to the meter. Any piping or buried fuel lines on your property beyond the meter are the property owner’s responsibility to maintain. For your safety, we recommend these lines be checked regularly for leaks and corrosion by a qualified technician.